Friday, February 10, 2012

Response to Xpress Cover Story "Ottawa Sucks"

It is high time that Ottawa stands up and take responsibility for what it really is: the cognitive surplus capital of Canada. A long-time advocate and performer, I was incensed by the Ottawa Xpressrecent cover article, “Ottawa Sucks” and its summary of the so-called “debate” in the Ottawa Citizen and Globe and Mail about the lack of culture and support for it in the nation’s capital. A debate requires two sides; this article only represented one. The article itself, by Cormac Rea, was really about the SAW Gallery’s new exhibition, which attempts to (re)present what is a collective self-flagellation, while chanting in unison, “Ottawa Sucks”. Sadly, the core important message of the article – that there’s a new exciting exhibition in town - was drowned by all the self-hatred.

I find it impossible to continue to watch the media flagellate this city and its citizens for its “lack of arts and culture”. In my two short years as a co-producer and co-host of the Friday Special Blend on CKCU, a local arts radio show, there was never a shortage of events to attend or arts blogs, such as Apartment613 and Artengine to follow, many of them well-attended or sold out. Andrew Cohen and his ilk’s reprinted vitriol for this city not only perpetuates inaccuracies, but veils the media’s paradoxical role in promoting cultural activities while simultaneously slagging arts supporters for not doing enough. By publishing such blatant trash, you risk causing the very thing you sought to avoid, namely, public participation in artistic and cultural activities.

Cultural studies have long recognized the media’s role in politicization and socialization of individuals in the polis: if Ottawans are told consistently that they live in a city with no culture and that they don’t participate in what culture they have, they will believe this fallacy and cease participating altogether.The danger of this is that Ottawans, and the rest of Canada, will ignore the richness that resides here and opt for petulant comparisons with Toronto and Montreal that are factually distinct and based on oversimplifications and inaccuracies. Ottawa for its size is in a category of its own because of the cognitive surplus of its citizens.

First, the factual distinctions: Ottawa is smaller in population size than both Toronto and Montreal, but vastly larger geographically. It has also been a city for much less time and home to many transient diplomats, bureaucrats, entrepreneurs and academics. Its downtown core is smaller; it is a commuter city.  Because of its smaller population, it has a lower proportion of what I will call single-income professional artists.  Ottawa also receives less grant money comparatively with Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary. Part of the burden of being the national capital is that no level of government (save for municipal) wants to appear as showing favouritism, especially in a fractious, regionalist federation like Canada. Although it may be smaller, its culture is rich and the crowds come out in the most unconventional of places.

What needs to be done is a longitudinal economic and sociological study about consumption and production habits of this city’s residents, professional and otherwise, to truly determine whether Ottawa’s so-called identity crisis and self-flagellation is warranted.  As an anthropologist, I would be interested in partnering in such a project.  One theory I have is that if incomes in Toronto and Montreal are higher than Ottawa’s, one could justify lower consumption of cultural goods based on disposable income levels, disparity and relative costs of living. And yet despite these hurdles, Ottawa thrives.

To say that Ottawans are not interested, passionate or supportive of arts and culture is patently false when new venues open their doors and the established venues are booked years in advance. It was thanks to more than 20 years of lobbying by community groups that the Shenkman centre has become the success it is in Orleans; and the same goes for the GCTC, St. Brigid’s Centre for the Arts, Centrepointe Theatre and, although it has faced high profile financial difficulties lately, the Gladstone Theatre.

I consistently hear that “Ottawa is a great place to raise a family” and that “the government is a great place to work if you have a family.” Following a recent conversation with a former high-ranking bureaucrat at Heritage Canada who conducted a national study on the arts, I learned that parents are the single largest funders of the arts. If Ottawa attracts families and provides flexible work schedules, then it follows that parents likely have the incomes to put their children in after school programs geared at the arts, attend rehearsals and performances. I have been performing and advocating on behalf of the arts in this city since high school and my own parents have been behind me every step of the way. Ottawans are consuming and care about culture: they’re busy investing in tomorrow’s artists, artists who will eventually flock to Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver for studies and then return to their city to cultivate its culture, like the owners of the Gladstone Theatre, founders of Odyssey Theatre, Third Wall Theatre, Dance with Alana Studios.

 Secondly, I think a longitudinal survey of Ottawa’s arts scene would show that Ottawans instead of being only passive consumers, are active producers because of a cognitive surplus.  This city is full of productive artists with multi-faceted interests, like Professor Natasha Bakht, a renowned contemporary Indian dancer, Canada Dance Festival Board Member and most recently, co-founder of the Ottawa Dance Directive; musicians like Jill Zmud, who, in addition to recording an album and touring, is also leading an initiative to make university education accessible to Ottawa’s homeless. Artists like Professor Jim Davies, an American cognitive scientist who, while only an Ottawa resident for a few short years, has published poetry in ByWords Literary Journal, displayed art at the Atomic Rooster and Chinatown Remixed, had one of his plays produced by Sock ‘N Buskin Theatre, and could be found on stage every Sunday with Insensitivity Training, one of Ottawa’s five regularly performing professional improvisation comedy troupes (Bet you didn’t know there were five!). Artists like Jason Pelletier and Melanie Yugo, both of whom deal daily in health and culture policy respectively for the federal government, have hosted Spins and Needles for years and shown Ottawans  - and many others from Montreal to New York to London - that the capacity to create is literally in their own hands; or artists like Ritallin, a spoken word poet and activist who worked for a number of years as a labour policy analyst at HRSDC and who co-founded along with John Akpata, CHUO radio host and consistent candidate for Ottawa-Vanier in so many elections I have lost count, Ottawa’s spoken word scene. CapitalSlam sells out twice monthly in the Mercury Lounge. It is possibly the largest and most active spoken word scene in Canada. These artists are involved, aware and they draw a crowd.  So what are Andrew Cohen and his ilk whining about? Good question.

I haven’t even gotten to the people who tirelessly promote the arts in this city in addition to balancing jobs and life: the ubiquitous Jessica Ruano whose thumbs are in so many artsy pies I can’t list them all here and if I did they would be out of date because she’d be on to the next thing before this article was published. My co-host Sue Johnston, hosted the Friday Special Blend for 8 years while she worked full-time at Industry Canada, or David Yazbeck, Partner at Raven, Cameron, Ballantyne and Yazbeck, one of the top human rights and appellate firms in the city, who sits on the Board of the Ottawa Folk Festival and who recently represented artists in a dispute with the National Art Gallery, or Dr. Jill Taylor whose dental practice, the Tooth Gallery, draws a massive turnout at her monthly vernissages that feature up-and-coming visual artists. 


So Ottawans, get up and start taking credit for the cognitive surplus of talent in this city and the improvements it has made to the buffet of arts and culture available. This is your city; it’s time to stop beating it into the ground.

16 comments:

  1. This essay was originally sent as a letter to the editors of both the Xpress and the Ottawa Citizen, February 3, 2012. I have yet to receive a reply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Vanessa! It's unfortunate that people continue to perpetrate this falsehood that Ottawa is somehow devoid of culture. I'm proud of the work the Capital Poetry Collective has done since 2004, and there are so many other individuals and groups across the NCR who have done amazing things as well. Keep making your voice heard on this issue -- you provide valuable insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, who knew you are such an articulate and informed voice on Ottawa's artistic scene! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan!

      By the way, I have a choir concert this friday at the Empire Grill at 8 pm. It's a fundraiser for the Capital Chamber Choir for our next season. I hope you can make it: www.capitalchamberchoir.ca. Tickets can only be purchased in advance online.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanessa
    As a director of a documentary being written, filmed and edited here in Ottawa and a long time employee of one of the cities cultural landmarks (Elgin Video) I can unequivocally state that the Xpress story was one sad media grab and nothing else. I've lived here my whole life (50 years) and seen this city evolve from a staid, featureless void into a fascinating place. The only real impediment to the ground up explosion of cultural expression over the last 5-8 years seems to be certain entrenched interests who feel that they maintain their 'elevated' cultural status by denigrating or stultifying anything outside their tiny little purview-- so thank you for your cogent dissection of that particular straw man. The issue isn't about the presence (or lack of culture) in Ottawa, rather it's about its shape and flavor.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, those are great points, and thank you for reminding me the name of the fallacy: the straw man!

      I agree with your point about denigrating other interests. I think people have responded in a hostile manner to the declining Opera Lyra sales and have perhaps used that as a frame of reference for their argument, "there is no culture", or the fact that we don't have a Nuit Blanche (yet), but they fail to see that culture is a malleable concept that has many forms.

      Your work as a small business owner, purveyor of cultural artefacts (specifically as a local video store) and documentary filmmaker makes you particularly pivotal in this transformation and I am so glad to have made your acquaintance. Please keep me posted about your work.

      Delete
  6. Hey Vanessa -
    I've lived in Ottawa for fourteen years, most of those out in rural Ottawa. We consider ourselves supporters of the arts, with a particular emphasis on live theatre and usually bring some combination of our four kids to events with us. I have also started bringing arts groups out to our rural village, with the thinking that if I/we want to see them, others will too. Last year's outdoor summer performance by the Company of Fools was a HUGE success. While I am generally aware of what's happening at the larger venues (NAC, GCTC ,etc.) I still feel like there's a lot going on that is happening below my/the radar. For example, I found out about Electric Fields on the day of the last performance :( I am interested in more alternative work that pure mainstream, but I don't see the posters, etc. posted around town because I'm not downtown on a regular basis. I also don't have a social group who are going out to these events and passing along their thoughts and reviews.

    Perhaps it's just me, but my sense is that there is a communication gap. Each venue/company promotes itself but there seems to be less cross-promotion/pollination: a "if you liked that, then you'll like this." Any suggestions for Twitter accounts or websites to follow to become more informed would be great. I'm also potentially willing to kick in some time on this.

    Finally, if there are theatre (or other) arts groups who are interested in performing in rural Ottawa, please get in touch.

    Kindest regards,

    Andrea Cordonier
    www.habicurious.com
    Burritt's Rapids, ON

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear SeekingShelter: There is so much in rural Ottawa, I am so glad you've included it in the discussion with your comment! The St. Lawrence Shakespeare festival is one of my favourite annual pilgrimages, for example, and I have been thrilled to watch it grow by leaps and bounds every year.

      I have heard about Electric Fields and I think I interviewed them a couple years ago on my radio show! If you like them, you should check out http://www.fieldworkproject.com/ in perth. I had the privilege of interviewing Susie Osler twice on my show for different events and she's doing incredible performance art and sculpture in Perth. Jesse Stewart, a music professor and Juno nominee based at Carleton University performs at the Bonnechere caves in Eganville: http://cualumni.carleton.ca/magazine/fall-2011/big-bang-theorist/

      I think you might be right about the communication gap. I was talking about this issue just yesterday and someone said that it's mostly artists who attend events because they know where to look and have people they know perform. I agree that more cross-pollination should happen as well. In terms of my own recommendations for blogs, Apartment 613 is where it's at. I also think you should follow Jessica Ruano's blog: http://jessicaruano.wordpress.com/

      Thanks again for including rural Ottawa in the discussion, Andrea.

      Delete
    2. Hey Vanessa -

      Interesting suggestions for rural stuff and I will follow Apartment 613 more closely for edgier stuff downtown.

      Kindest, Andrea

      Delete
    3. Hi Andrea: you should also check out Artengine - they are doing some great work in the city. They have an event this Tuesday (I have a choir practice at 7 pm, so I am dropping in beforehand) to meet with Luc Lalande, one of the organizers.

      Delete
  7. I just read Emma Godmere's article and recommend it. We make similar points: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/op-ed/Ottawa+needs+better+attitude/6064147/story.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you can't post a blog post without having at least one ad hominem attack. I will premise my following comments by saying in my defence that I thrive on constructive criticism and actively seek it out prior to submitting any work: academic papers, poetry, and editorials.

    I was ambushed by a friend yesterday who accused me of sucking up to professor Natasha Bakht, "shamelessly promoting" Jim Davies, my husband, and my credentials as an anthropologist. I am going to publicly reclaim my integrity as a student, advocate and journalist.

    Natasha Bakht has been on maternity leave for 2 years caring for her newborn and we have never been at the law school at the same time. I have never taken a class with her. She has never been my professor. She teaches family law and I have no plans to take a single family law course. I stand to gain nothing from her by mentioning her in the article. She is a valid example in support of my argument.

    I considered leaving Jim out of the article, but that would still be to succumb the very thing I was trying to avoid: treating him differently as a monolithic entity "because he's my husband." I think it is a sad state for feminism if a woman is still attacked for mentioning her partner. If the roles were reversed he'd written the article and he'd not mentioned me even though I was a valid example to demonstrate his argument, one might think my husband was a chauvinist. I believe in giving credit where credit is due and Jim was a valid example to demonstrate my argument and I feel no shame at including him in the article. In fact, I came to know Jim first as an artist, a dancer; the love and companionship, and matrimony - is secondary. I came to know all of those people I mentioned first as artists and advocates, and I am privileged to have witnessed my relationship with them develop into friendship. Should I have not mentioned them? So if anyone else is wishes to cast aspersions on my integrity, she had better get her facts straight beforehand because these are accusations I take very seriously.

    Lastly, I hold a Master's in Law, Anthropology and Society from the London School of Economics. I have both done ethnography and studied ethnographic methodology, even though my professor, Martha Mundy, was unsupportive of my desire to do fieldwork (even volunteering) during my studies. I regret her decision every day. I have applied twice to pursue PhD studies in Durham, but have received inadequate funding, and pursued law school instead. I do not regret it and hope to one day complete a PhD in Behavioural Economics. I often reference legal anthropology in my law classes and private conversations. In sum, I think like an anthropologist. To suggest that I inflate myself otherwise is to both challenge my agency about how I self-identify and launch an ad hominem attack on my argument. It is petty at best and, at worst, defamatory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Vanessa. Great article! I thought that you might be interested in looking at the City's strategic action plan for arts, heritage and culture. It just came out and was passed unanimously by council.

    I agree that there is a communication gap - the media tends not to cover the local scene when it comes to arts, heritage and culture. There were only a couple of small articles about this plan and very little analysis within those articles despite this document being foundational for the various arts and heritage scenes and orgs that exist in the city. It's not just the media though - the city has to do a better job of communicating too!!

    Anyhow here are the links:

    In english - http://tinyurl.com/6pmglfr
    En français - http://tinyurl.com/8a356r9

    Also there have been some longitudinal studies of culture in Ottawa. One of the better ones is titled "The Politics of Culture in Ottawa" by Loretto Beninger (sp?). Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Memetic: Thank you! What a resource you are! I will look at the strategic plan and I am definitely so grateful to you for the longitudinal study. Thank you, thank you thank you!

      Delete